Seeing an adult with braces or other teeth straightening devices used to be an anomaly. Now, it’s not strange at all. In fact, one survey even found that adult teeth straightening treatments have increased by 58 percent!
It’s more common to see adults wearing braces, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they’re right for everyone. For some people, finding an invisible way to straighten their teeth is just as important as the end goal.
Are you interested in straightening your teeth but need a discrete solution? Then lingual braces might be the right option for you. Read on to learn more about them and their benefits.
What Are Lingual Braces?
Lingual braces are a type of teeth straightening treatment. They’re similar in appearance and function to traditional braces, but have a few key differences. In particular:
- The brackets, wires, and elastic bands are mounted on the backside of your teeth (the tongue, or lingual side).
- Because of their positioning, they’re virtually invisible. This makes them perfect for people who want to straighten their teeth discretely.
- Not only are they less visible than traditional braces, but they’re also more covert than Invisalign, another “invisible” teeth straightening option that most orthodontists offer. This is because Invisalign aligners are worn on top of the teeth, so they’re a little more noticeable than lingual braces.
Benefits of Lingual Braces
In addition to being invisible, there are a few other benefits that come with choosing lingual braces over other teeth straightening methods. These include:
- More control over tooth movement.
- No patient compliance concerns (compared to Invisalign).
- More precision and predictable outcomes.
- Shorter treatment periods (compared to conventional braces).
- Greater comfort.
When you wear these types of braces, there is also no visible discoloration when the braces are removed. Any white spots or other discoloration are on the inside of the teeth only.
Who Should Get Them?
Certain people are better candidates for these types of braces than others. If you fall into one of the following groups, they might be a good option for you:
- You value discretion when it comes to straightening your teeth.
- You want a shorter treatment period.
- Your teeth are relatively healthy. (In particular, there are no signs of periodontal disease.)
- You don’t mind a little extra work to keep them clean.
- Some extra costs aren’t a concern for you.
- You don’t have any severe bite problems (such as a deep overbite).
- You don’t mind a small adjustment period as you get used to speaking while wearing your braces.
Keep in mind too that, as with traditional braces, these braces come with a few dietary restrictions. For instance, you’ll be discouraged from eating extra crunchy or sticky foods while you’re wearing your braces.
Want to Try Lingual Braces?
After learning more about them and their benefits, do you think lingual braces could be a good fit for you? Or would you like to learn more about this and other options?
If you live in or around the Milwaukee, Racine, or Brookfield areas and are ready to straighten your teeth permanently, Moles Orthodontics can help. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and learn more about all of our orthodontic services.