At Moles & Ferri Orthodontics, our orthodontists firmly believe that one of the many ways that we can provide the absolutely best orthodontic treatment to our patients is to always be aware of and willing to invest in the newest, most effective technologies. The right technology in the right hands can change lives, and we’re changing lives one smile at a time.
The latest addition to our practice is an i-CAT 3D CBCT (cone beam) scanner. This state-of-the-art 3D scanner goes beyond the flat two-dimensional image that a standard x-ray provides, and gives us a full, three-dimensional image. It may not sound like much, but that extra dimension allows us to see a patient’s jaw joints, teeth, and roots from any angle!
What Is It?
i-CAT 3D CBCT scanner is a cone beam computed tomography scanner. This is a technical way of saying that it is a scanner that uses a cone-shaped x-ray to take three-dimensional images. The scanners themselves can be quite small, and, depending on the resolution needed, the radiation dosage can be up to 100x less than that of a standard computed tomography scanner.
How Does It Work?
During the visit, the patient sits in a special i-CAT scanning station. During the scan, which is surprisingly quick, the scanner rotates around the patient’s head. As it does so, it takes hundreds of images of the patient’s mouth, teeth, roots, and jaw joints. A full series can mean as many as 600 images! Then, specialized scanning software collects the data taken during scanning and reconstructs it. The digital output is a complex and detailed 3D reconstruction of the patient’s entire mouth and jawline. The detail and technology is truly amazing.
The i-CAT offers many benefits that a regular x-ray machine does not. This includes:
- Significantly increasing the speed and accuracy of the orthodontic treatment we can deliver.
- Images that are over 10x as accurate when compared to standard x-rays.
- The ability to see fine details that it is virtually impossible to make out with a regular x-ray.
- Patients can be exposed to less radiation than they typically would be when taking a standard series of x-rays for a dental exam.
- The i-CAT’s increased resolution and accuracy allow for better analysis of tooth orientation and bone structure.
- i-CAT’s 3D treatment planning tools allow orthodontists to plan treatment and care with greater predictability and more reliable outcomes.
Our Commitment to Using the Best Technology
We are proud to be one of the first orthodontic offices in Wisconsin to have 3D imaging technology and the very first to have the i-CAT 3D CBCT system. This advanced technology allows our orthodontists to provide more comprehensive and confident diagnoses. And, when coupled with our orthodontic treatments—lingual braces, suresmile, and Invisalign®—it promises to significantly increase the speed and accuracy of the care we deliver!
See what our advanced technology can do for you. Contact us to schedule an appointment at any one of our three treatment locations conveniently located in Milwaukee, Racine, and Brookfield.